Hey, friends! I hope your September is off to a great start! Mine has been busy but I wanted to make sure that I continued sharing books that will help you tap into some themes you may be looking to incorporate into your classroom. An interesting thing about being a teacher is how versatile our lessons tend to be. We’re not just teaching math, reading, and science. We’re also diving into mini life lessons to help students develop a sense of how to handle the wild things life throws at us. That’s why I am excited about sharing some of my favorite picture books for learning a lesson with you today. I’ll also share some activity ideas to go along with a few of my suggestions, plus I’ve included a FREEBIE for the book, Rude Cakes, to get you started.
Picture Books for Learning a Lesson
Each book has its own unique way of teaching very different or similar life lessons. I’ve linked each book below with a little snippet of what lesson you can expect your students to gain from it.
- Being Frank by Donna Earnhardt sends a message about what it means to be honest, while also holding space for compassion and tact.
- Interrupting Chicken by David E.Stein gives a little humor to the importance of not interrupting others. A must for the classroom!
- The Squirrels Who Squabbled by Rachel Bright for when your students need a little help with sharing and working together.
- Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker by Christianne C. Jones for when listening skills have gone out of the window.
- Harrison P. Spader, Personal Space Invader by Christianne C. Jones is what you need when the little ones could learn a thing or two about personal space and self-awareness.
- Rita and Ralph’s Rotten Day by Carmen Agra Deedy teaches a bit about conflict-resolution through the inevitable squabbles of friendship.
- Rude Cakes by Rowboat Watkins is a sweet and funny book for combating bullying and emphasizing manners.
- The Bad Seed by Jory John gives a take on changing our ways for the good, even after the bad has been done by us and to us.
- Jackie Wins Them All by Fabian E. Ferguson is an inspiring story with lessons on positive attitudes, sportsmanship, and empowerment.
Activities for Learning a Lesson
There’s no better way to hone in on a life lesson than with a few reading activities for children to have an opportunity to reflect and deep dive into the meaning of the text. Here are 5 of my favorites paired with a few of my featured picture books for learning a life lesson. Click on each image below to learn more and get access to these activities.
This is a full week of curriculum included in our Rooted in Reading pack for The Bad Seed. Featuring various activities and crafts for comprehension, grammar, and vocabulary.
Share this video read-aloud for Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker, and engage with your students using the freebie directed drawing and reading response. Perfect for Back to School!
This is one of our special edition Rooted in Reading packs made just for Being Frank. It features a full week of instruction for 3rd and 4th graders to hone in on being honest AND kind while meeting the standards.
Another fun read-aloud video with a freebie directed drawing and reading response combo pack just for you! Click the image above to grab this one for Harrison P. Spader, Personal Space Invader. Bonus: there’s a digital version!
This is your FREEBIE! A cute craft of the main character and a reading response on important lessons learned through the story, Rude Cakes. Snag this one below!