Making friends as an adult is super tricky right?! Especially for someone like me who works from home with basically zero adult interaction. When I was in the classroom, it was easier. And as a kid, well, friendship came a lot more naturally, right?! Children have that innocence that keeps them from worrying so much about what others may think or if they are “likable”. They just want fun in those early elementary years. That’s why I think it’s important to create a friendly environment in the classroom and show younger kids what it means to truly be a friend so maybe as they grow older they can let go of some of those inhibitions.
Using thoughtfully written stories, we can display what all of it means. Providing examples of what being friends is all about. So today, I’ll be sharing 9 of my favorite picture books about friendship. If you missed my KINDNESS book suggestions, find those HERE!
From beautiful lessons about honesty and helping others in Maddi’s Fridge to staying by your friend’s side in sticky situations like Bear in I’m Sticking With You, your students will love these books about Friendship that tie in a bit of humor and a whole lot of life lessons.
- You Will Be My Friend by Peter Brown
- The Sandwich Swap by Queen Rania of Jordan Al Abdullah and Kelly DiPucchio
- Leon and Bob by Simon James
- Rita and Ralph’s Rotten Day by Carmen Agra Deedy
- Peanut Butter and Cupcake by Terry Border
- Farfallina and Marcel by Holly Keller
- Maddi’s Fridge by Lois Brandt
- The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat
- I’m Sticking With You by Smriti Prasadam-Halls
First-Rate Friend Writing Page
To go along with any of the read-alouds above, I have a writing activity FREEBIE for your students. Students share how someone can be a good friend to others. There are two different writing page options. On both options students will draw and write their first-rate friend suggestions!
Looking for even more recommendations for books around a theme? Check out my book recommendations page for a ton of suggestions!