A few weeks ago, I posed a question on my social channels asking thousands of teachers what type of book recommendations they would love to see from me. I compiled those suggestions and over the Summer, I’ll be going through and creating book suggestion posts for various topics requested. First up on the list? Kindness- something I think we can all use a lot more of. Teaching children about kindness opens the door for what we would hope to be a life of joy and a more inclusive and happy classroom experience. My favorite way to introduce or reinforce important topics is through reading, so today, I’ll be sharing 9 of my favorite picture books about kindness. Plus, I’ve included a FREE writing activity to pair them with!
- I Walk With Vanessa by Kerascoët
- Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
- The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig
- Strictly No Elephants by Lisa Mantchev
- The Jelly Donut Difference by Maria Dismondy
- Stick and Stone by Beth Ferry
- Those Shoes by Maribeth Boelts
- Come With Me by Holly M. McGhee
- Chocolate Milk, Por Favor by Maria Dismondy
I hope you can find some way to introduce even one of these special books into your classroom! And if you’re looking for ways to keep the reading alive in your students or kiddos at home, check out THIS post about cultivating a love of reading in children.
Kindness Counts Writing Activity
After reading one of the stories mentioned above, you can have your students complete a kindness writing page. Students share two ways that they can show kindness. This is a FREE classroom activity for you!
Click HERE to grab your Kindness Counts writing sheet!