Also included in:
Rooted in Reading: Special Editions BUNDLE
Our Class is a Family by Shannon Olsen is a wonderful story for the Back to School season. It’s perfectly paired with a full week of reading instruction including comprehension, nonfiction connection, and vocabulary! The story has a positive and uplifting message about how your class becomes your family. We pair it with a nonfiction reader for Types of Homes to draw a meaningful connection!
Check out the preview to see the different activities we have included. The best part?! This teaching resource is DIGITAL and PRINTABLE! That means it can be used in a traditional classroom or for distance learning.
All of the activities are provided in a printable PDF or digitally in Seesaw, Google Slides, and PowerPoint. We even include teaching lesson videos within the unit for your students!
Here’s what is included:
PLEASE NOTE: *Our Class is a Family by Shannon Olsen needs to be purchased for this unit.
*Skills: Making Connections and Comparing
- 5 Days of Lesson Plans for Reading and Vocabulary
- Teaching Videos: Comparing, Making Connections, Introducing Vocabulary Words, Directed Drawing
- Picture Examples of all Activities
- Reading Comprehension Question Stems
- Digital Posters for: Making Connections and Comparing
- Me, Myself, and I activity (similar to an All About Me activity)
- Venn Diagram for Comparing Animals
- Venn Diagram Flap-Book
- Let’s Compare Activity
- Types of Homes Activity
- Fiction Passage
- Nonfiction Passage
- Comprehension Check for the story with Answer Key
- Anchor Chart for Comparing
- Schoolhouse Directed Drawing and Writing Pages
- Nonfiction Reader: Home Sweet Home (Types of Homes)
- Anchor Chart for recording information about types of homes
- Reading Response Craft: Apartment Building and Writing Pages
- Vocabulary Picture Cards
- Vocabulary Prompts
- Vocabulary Match It!
- Vocabulary Words in Sentences
- Vocabulary Assessment: Match word to picture
Please Note: This Digital and Printable Rooted in Reading resource does not include grammar or the daily deep dive like our typical units. For this digital resource, we focused on Comprehension, Vocabulary, and Nonfiction Connection.
PowerPoint Users: There are 12 files that you can simply open up and use… or add them to your Google Account/Platform of choice
SEESAW Users: These activities are preloaded. With just a click (that is provided) you can save and assign the activities
GOOGLE Users: You can download the files directed to your Google account with just the click of a button! Or you can manually add the PowerPoints if you prefer that!